• Compare and contrast different styles of music
• Connect music compositions from different eras
• Make connections between music and the world around you
Materials: music clips of Beethoven and the Beatles; paper and pen
This activity will enhance your ability to listen and make connections to your surroundings in ways you may have never considered.
- Begin by listening to Beethoven’s 9th Symphony and The Beatles “Hey Jude”.
- Compare the two styles of music and list three similarities you observe.
- Then, contrast the music styles and list three differences you observe.
- Finally, make connections between these selections of music and the world. You might consider the eras in which the songs were composed, the audiences they attracted, or the changes they reflected in society. These connections can reflect politics, changes in music theory, or cultural shifts. How does this process of connecting ideas lead you to deeper thinking about the music? Share your observations in the comment box below.
Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony
The Beatles: “Hey Jude”